Saturday, March 27, 2010

Green Drug Store Finds at Walgreens and CVS Pharmacies


Check out the latest green drug store finds. 1 &2) Hair care products free of parabens 3) Body wash and moisturizing products made with mostly natural ingredients and paraben free. $5.99 for about a 6 oz size of foot cream that works very well. Bonus - 1% of all profits go back to environmentally conscious organizations and projects. 4) Living in a house that is surrounded by maple and oak trees, I have more leaves than I can ever mulch with my mower, so I will use these biodegradeable lawn bags to hold the excess. My son asked if I was going to throw the bags in the ravine behind our home, but I told him that I didn't think people would realize the green bags were compostable, so I will probably experiment with them and keep them behind the shed to see how quickly they decompose. 5) Saving the best for last! Sunchips now come in fully compostable bags! The only problem is that if you are trying to sneak and eat some on the sly, the bag is incredibly noisy. I have found many green products at CVS and Walgreens, including, soy candles, recycled paper folders, Burts Bees products and other items. Wal-Mart also has a decent selection of organic and environmentally friendly products. It is nice to know that having respect for the environment and human safety is finally seen as economically viable, thanks to people like you that shop their values.

5 comments:

Amy in Tacoma said...

A great company to buy products from is Alaffia (www.alaffia.com). For me it's a local company (they're based in Olympia, WA) so the products are in the stores here, but in Ohio you might have to buy their products on line.

Reasons I like them:
--Natural ingredients, primarily shea-based, for hair and skin (shea is wonderful for my dry hair and skin!)
--The founder is from Togo, and he works with women's cooperatives in his home country to harvest the shea and other ingredients, using fair trade, sustainable practices.
--They give 10% of sales (that's *sales*, not *profits*) to development projects in Togo and scholarships to low-income students in Washington state.

Amy in Tacoma said...

Adding to the previous comment: they have a new mission statement on their web site:

"Advancing Gender Equality and Alleviating Poverty through the Fair Trade of Handcrafted Shea Butter"

Amy in Tacoma said...

I'm back! Writing about this encouraged me to check out their web site, and Alaffia products are carried in two Cleveland area stores: the Whole Foods in Chagrin, and Revive in Cleveland Heights.

Unknown said...

Thank you Amy! I do shop at Revive, so I will look for this brand.love the mission statement!Happy Spring!

Amy in Tacoma said...

I just looked at the Revive web site. It seems like such a cool store! I'll have to check it out the next time I go home.

If you get a chance, read the Alaffia founder's story (under "Moral Responsibility") on their web site. It's very inspiring.