Monday, May 25, 2009

Happy Memorial Day!

For those of you that are grieving loved ones on this day, my prayers are with you.

This morning, I marched with my fellow recycling committee members and every other interest group in the city, in the Memorial Day parade. We were greeted by great weather, occasional applause and cheering crowds from the neighborhood, often chanting "Reduce, Reuse, Recycle". The positive reinforcement felt great. Although, I have lived in my community for 14 years, last year was the first time I ever participated in any community events, namely the parade and home days. Well, I found out that I have been missing out all of these years. You meet interesting new people, run into pals from high school, chat with neighbors you don't normally speak to and really feel part of something wonderfully old-fashioned (Kinda like Sesame Street meets Andy Griffith). I would encourage anyone, who has not participated in a community event to take the time out to do so this summer. Try it. You'll like it!

No comments: