Sunday, June 28, 2009

TalkBlack Atlanta: Black Professionals Go Green



Last month, I had the great pleasure of meeting an exciting group of engaged and green black professionals at a TalkBlack Atlanta panel discussion on the virtues of living a greener lifestyle. Joining me were two green civic activists from Greater Atlanta (that's me in the center talking with my hands as usual), including Tony Anderson, a recent Morehouse graduate. Mr. Anderson, a protege of Van Jones, wowed the audience with his passion and knowledge of the enviromental justice and green living movements. He is definitely one of the future black and green leaders to watch.

What specifically impressed me was that many in the audience were already taking steps to live green and were themselves well informed about many of the environmental issues impacting the lives of people around the globe. There was a brother that was starting up several green businesses, another one is building a green chapel and the co-founder of TalkBlack, award winning journalist, Chandra Thomas, has written many articles on sustainability and green living for national publications.

The icing on the cake was that the meeting was held at Wonderland Gardens, an African American run non-profit, established to provide awareness of nature, gardening and earthly stewardship.

3 comments:

Julie said...

I am always happy to read such news, I am trying to promote green living in my business too...

gogreen said...

I think the green issue must be brough to local communities and integrated this way. Just seeing tips on TV won't help long term, people need to be involved.

Unknown said...

Thanks for your support, we need lots of people to get out and just talk to folk and do demonstrations as well. I love it!