Sunday, September 13, 2009

The Glean In My Eye For Free Food

I don't know what's happening, but without even trying, since reading the book "The Scavenger's Manifesto", I have been spotting free fruit everywhere. The category of scavenger that seeks free harvests in an urban setting is an "urban gleaner". I haven't been looking for free food, but perhaps my subconscious picked up on the vigilance message from the book. Pictured here is the ripe bounty from a pear tree behind a warehouse, an apple tree next to a gas station and a lush grapevine dangling above the trash bin and parking lot of a pizza place! I have parked in all three locations often, but never noticed these fruits until recently. One could speculate that I had never parked in these places in the fall, so that would explain the sudden sightings, but that would be no fun at all.















No comments: