Sunday, January 27, 2008

Grandma Goes Green?

Got a wake up call from my grandmother this morning that started out like this - "Macaroni and Cheese, Candied Sweet Potatoes, Roast Chicken, Green Beans and Pound Cake - what time will you be over?" Darn it! Just when I was trying to make some headway into a vegan like lifestyle, I get this call. Of course, I had to oblige being that I didn't want to hurt her feelings. Right? I did go and ate all of the delicious items, but only a tiny portion of the mac and cheese and chicken. Not bad, as I am notorious for my appetite over there. My plate was 70% vegetables (she always has several veggie sides) and felt quite satisfied. Anyway, not wanting to arrive empty handed, I brought some fluourescent lightbulbs to change out some of her old incandescent lights. To my surprise, she already had switched out the majority of her bulbs! Turns out my father, being the dutiful son and mindful of her fixed income made the switch several months ago. I was able to find a few more that needed replacing, but I was very proud of both of them for making this change. Proves that you don't have go look very far for inspiration after all. Are you doing your part?

No comments: