Sunday, June 29, 2008

Compostable Toilets

I just read a piece in the July/August issue of dwell magazine on compostable toilets. Wow! I knew there were such things out there, but whether I would actually own one (especially at an average price of $1500), remains to be a test of my green fortitude. It made me wonder how many black families could get comfortable with the concept of a toilet that not only uses less water (this is good), but also converts your waste into compost for your garden (this is also good, but....). Can you imagine your friends and relatives response to this kind of toilet? Imagine their surprise, should they go snooping around drawers in your bathroom! That would stink would'nt it? Though, I understand that in many countries, even as close as Mexico, this is the norm. While the concept is wonderful, I think I have to sit this one out for a little longer.

I would love to know your thoughts on this issue.

No comments: