Sunday, June 29, 2008

Vitamin D3 May Reduce Cancer Risk

I have been reading a lot lately about how vitamin D, specifically D3, may significantly reduce cancer risk. This is a vitamin that is found through exposure to sunlight, consumption of fatty fish like salmon or mackeral and supplements. You will find most multivitamins contain 400 I.U. of this vitamin and usually not D3 as suggested by the study. The participants took 1,100 I.U. of this supplement daily in addition to calcium, which complements the vitamin. No need to go to an exotic health food store or vitamin shop, I found it a my local CVS drugstore.

I would recommend consulting with your physician prior to starting this regimen (although I didn't). To find an open minded physician check out the website of Physicians for Social Responsibility. Warning though, this is a very activist minded group, which is great if you are a left leaning individual, not so good if you are a conservative. The website does provides excellent information on environmental health related issues.

1 comment:

Quiskaeya said...

I read about this also in Fit magazine. I take a multivitamin. It has vD in it. I would if it would be harmful if I increase the amount I intake. I probably should hold off for now since I breastfeed. Now that I think about it.