Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Corn Syrup and Sugar Replacement: Brown Rice Syrup

As a rice-aholic, (along with popcorn-aholic and choco-holic), when I saw this at Whole Foods Market, it went immediately into my basket. I have been experimenting with natural sugar replacements and found this brown rice syrup to be a good substitute for dark corn syrup. I made a mean pecan pie using this stuff - "your best ever" claimed my teenager! It's taste reminds me a lot of Karo syrup, which means it is awesome on some fluffy hot biscuits or fresh baked corn bread. If you are real hardcore, you can try it over some buckwheat pancakes (I'll stick to maple syrup thank you) or in a sweet potato pie. Anyway, the label gives you instructions on how to use it as a substitute and you can find recipes on www.Lundberg.com.

1 comment:

Quiskaeya said...

I'll definately have to get that. Maybe I can make syrup for pancakes with it.