Be sure to check out the Above The Fold daily environmental health news from around the world, featured in Black and Into Green. This weekend's highlights, I found to be particularly relevant:
- Pesticides found at dangerous to human levels in water system (use a water filter)
- Makers of BPA, found in plastic and canned food/formula, to lead an overt and covert tobacco industry like attack to protect its tarnished reputation (cancer, heart disease, reproductive disorders). Yeah. I will take mine in glass, stainless steel or ceramic please.
- Swine flue vaccine contains mercury and squalene - tied to lupus, multiple sclerosis
- Landfill garbage located in low income Wilmington area, may topple into Delaware River
- Green alternatives being developed to replace toxic pesticides. Scotts Lawn Co to be one of first to test in products. Yay! (Vinegar makes a great spot weedkiller)
- Great Lakes fish linked to diabetes via pesticide DDE
- Rainforests being cleared at an alarming rate to raise soybeans, primarily to feed cows in an attempt to meat the growing global demand for meat
- Ingredient to watch - palm oil. Forests being cleared unsustainably to grow palm plants. Found in food products and soap.
Other green tidbits:
- Use lemongrass oil or eucalyptus oil instead of DEET to ward off bugs
- WaterSense labeled plumbing fixtures are most efficient
- Cuisinart GreenGourmet nonstick cookware is eco-friendly and safe to use
- Search for cool back to school accessories like jewelry, purses and belts at thrift/vintage stores
- 30% increase in colleges going green (a whole new enlightened generation being formed)
- Green stimulus dollars are hitting your local governments and nonprofits, stay on top of the opportunities through your government rep and http://www.recovery.org/
- Eco-Mondays at Twitter are days to show some love to your fav green tweeples
That's all folks!