Sunday, August 16, 2009

Obama Health Care Reform Riles Up Whole Foods CEO John Mackey - ABC News

Obama Health Care Reform Riles Up Whole Foods CEO John Mackey - ABC News Interesting. The CEO of Whole Foods is a libertarian. Anyway, as someone who is a strong supporter of health care reform for many reasons, I have taken steps to go support two locally owned grocers in the area. I will miss Whole Foods, but I am deeply disturbed over Mr. Mackey's stance on this issue. I was already feeling occasional pangs of guilt when I thought about the manner in which he handled Wild Oats, a former competitor that the grocer bought out. He was on the internet making disparaging remarks about Oats under an assumed name, all the while attempting to take them over (perhaps at a lower stock price?). I acknowledge that Whole Foods is a great employer and supporter of the organic foods movement and realize that employees may be impacted by these boycotts, but sometimes it's best to keep certain opinions to yourself. I may return to my former favorite grocer in the future, but "someones got some 'splaining to do", before that happens.

Shared via AddThis