Monday, January 18, 2010

Happy Martin Luther King Jr. Day!


The right to clean air and safe walkable neighborhoods, clean water, access to healthy food, food and products safe from toxic chemicals and living wage jobs in the new green economy- these are basic rights that I think Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. would have been at home fighting for in 2010. You know he would be all over the Haitian situation now. Fortunately for us, young folks continue to follow his example through actions to improve the quality of life for economically disadvantaged and disenfranchised people. Read more here and check out the video to learn of one young man's journey from the mean streets, to prison, to college to community activism.

I am celebrating his legacy today in a couple of different ways. Currently, I'm attending an amazing musical presentation at the art museum by the children's group, Motivation Through Excellence. The kids are extremely talented and tearing down the house! My son is volunteering at the Cleveland Museum of Natural History, which is packed today. I'm going to make a donation to Green For All and then make a cake in honor of Dr. King (I'm biting off of my friend Michael's idea). If I have time left, I will work on my exhibitor solicitation letters for a regional women's economic development summit, I'm involved with this spring.

Thank you Dr. King for your dreams, example, courage and legacy!

No comments: