Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mother's Day! I'm off to a Raw Start!

Happy Mothers Day my friends! How fitting is it that Mother's Day commences the beginning of National Women's Health Week. It all starts with us, so I think it is so fitting that I was treated to a surprise raw food breakfast this morning of Apple Cereal and Mango Banana Smoothie. I heard my teen rattling around in the kitchen, but though that he was going to whip up a conventional breakfast for me....until I heard the blender. I thought that it was sweet of him to consider a smoothie in his plans, even though I was somewhat concerned over the loud noise eminating from the blender. To my astonishment, he came upstairs with a bowl of homemade Apple Cereal and a big ole mug of Mango Banana Smoothie. Turns out that he got up early and researched raw breakfast food recipes on the internet, after much searching, he found the website http://www.fromsadtoraw.com/, and made my breakfast! Everthing was good, he actually grated the apples himself and swiped some of the nuts I had soaking for my raw tuna. The one snag that he ran into was that he had no experience cutting a mango. The loooong seed in the mango caught him offguard, he assumed the hard part of seed at the ends of the fruit, were just frozen sections of the mango, so he sliced through them (so manly!) and tossed the chunk into the blender (hence the loud noise heard earlier, at which point he realized it was a seed), so I did have to contend with a few seed fibers, but it was all good. I feel blessed to have such a thoughtful son.

The last photo is a snapshot of a raw starters kit that I put together for my mom. It can be expensive, especially if you are on a fixed income, to get everything you need to get started on a raw diet and she is always game for anything positive that will improve her health, so I put together this ensemble to keep her moving in the raw food way.

On that note, lets all this week try to incorporate one raw meal per day into our diets or at least more fruits and veggies, so we can flip the script on the unhealthy narrative that has been playing out in our lifestyles these last few decades. Check out the blog Chocolate Orchid , for some great ideas on how to get started! Or pick up a copy of the new book by Tracye Lynn McQuirter.By Any Greens Necessary: A Revolutionary Guide for Black Women Who Want to Eat Great, Get Healthy, Lose Weight, and Look Phat.

Happy Mothers Day to all, including Mother Earth!

2 comments:

ElleX said...

Happy Belated Mother's Day!

I didn't see the snapshot of the raw starters kit that you put together for your Mother. I would love to put one together for my Mother!

I love your blog!

Unknown said...

Hey ElleX! Thank you! I just realized I was missing some photos on this. The ideal starter kit would include a recipe book by Ani Phyo or Carol Alt, almonds, walnuts, cashews, sunflower seeds and macadamia nuts (if you are really balling that week), dates, raw cacao powder, mesquite, ground flaxseed,a box of unsweetened almond milk (for cheaters like me) a bottle of cold pressed olive oil, raw apple cider vinegar, sundried tomatoes and a trip to the farmers market.I would then include a list of ingredients to add to the pantry over time, a list of veggies to keep on hand (kale, avocados, onion, lettuce, tomatoes, garlic, carrots, parsley), a list of resources in your neighborhood for finding the cheapest raw food ingredients and cool and fun raw food recipes. Have fun with your starter kit and Thanks for reading Black and Into Green!