Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The Village Green: Teaching A Class

Whew! I am exhausted yet exhilarated. This evening I facilitated the first ever green oriented community center class, "Going Green 101: A Primer on Sustainability". This was a personal green goal of mine for 2008. Nobel Peace prize winner, Dr. Wangari Mathaai of Kenya was my inspiration for sharing my little bit of knowledge and information with my community.Turnout was a small but intimate and diverse group of ten individuals from the area (next time I will have to be a more aggressive marketer).Some were green veterans, entrenched in conscious and sustainable living already, while others were looking to take green living to the next level. We covered the Three R's of Sustainability, Reduce, Reuse and Recycle with the emphasis on Reducing. Everyone enjoyed a viewing of the 20 minute video, "The Story of Stuff" by Annie Leonard. Even the most experienced and knowledgeable leader of our community recycling committee stated that she learn a few things. My son, so graciously acted as my tech guy, sitting through the whole 2.5 hour presentation. In return, I have to get up early tomorrow and create a few campaign posters for his bid for president of his freshman class. He is campaigning on change. Let's hope we can promote change in the way we take care of our environments, our bodies, our communities and our world- one step at a time.

1 comment:

Quiskaeya said...

Can I be like YOU when I grow up!! Go on ahead sister girl and do yo thang! How exciting!