Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Post Surgery Diet Tips for Healing


I have been sliced and diced so many times in the last two years, it's ridiculous. But what is more ridiculous is the fact that not once in any of my post-op instructions was any reference to made to the importance of diet in the healing process. After enduring my last procedure today (woo hoo!), I had an epiphany and decided to do some research on what and how I should eat for maximum healing. Well low and behold, it turns out that your diet is extremely important in this process. Here is what I found after reading several articles and surgeon's suggestions:


  1. Drink 10 to 12 glasses of water daily (whoa!)-add a splash of lemon juice to one or two glasses

  2. Eat at least three servings of high quality protein - low-fat cheese and yogurt, eggs, beans, nuts, chicken and fish. Protein is essential in rebuilding tissue. Who knew?

  3. Eat lots of fruit (bananas, cantaloupe and pineapple especially good) and leafy green veggies

  4. Maintain a stable blood sugar level by eating at least 5 times a day - 3 meals, 2 snacks

  5. Avoid fried, refined and processed foods - they actually block the healing process

  6. Do not restrict your calories, your body needs the nutrition to heal, but eat wisely

  7. I save this one for last, because I don't like it - avoid caffeine (boo!) - it dehydrates you (you can always offset it with more water right?)

This actually sounds like the way that I eat daily, minus the heavy doses of protein and 4 or 5 glasses of water, which are the two essential keys to healing. I like this particular article, because it includes some yummy recipes. There are multiple meat based recipes, but vegan and vegetarian recipes are also represented. These tips work well for any type of surgery, including labor.


Let the healing begin!

No comments: