Sunday, February 17, 2008

I Am Woman Hear Me Roar!

As a child growing up on the west coast of the states in the seventies, I was exposed at an early age to progressive themes and concepts. I can distinctively recall in the third grade singing Helen Reddy's ode to female empowerment, "I am Woman". It would be years before I realized how deeply the words of that song would burn in my consciousness, even later before I realized the truth behind the words. I am amazed at the impact that one woman, Dr. Wangari Maathai, has made on the lives of women, children, families and humans not just on that great continent of Africa, but on the world. The song goes "I am woman hear me roar", and with ONE BILLION trees being planted over the world and a Nobel Prize under her belt, I can say confidently speak for all of us by saying "we hear you, Dr. Maathai"!

The question is, whether male or female, are you ready to take the next step in your journey to responsible living? A journey that removes you from the comfort zone of your home to the twilight zone of your community? Are you ready to be heard? I am. Look for posts over the next week that layout a simple to follow roadmap to the path of eco-activism. Roar!!

No comments: