Saturday, February 9, 2008

A Toxic Trifecta for Babies

Last year tales of toxic imported toys startled us. Last month reports of hormone altering baby lotions and shampoos drove us to label scrutiny. Today reports of cancer causing chemicals present in heated baby bottles has mothers turning to BPA (Bisphenol-A) free bottles or even better, nature's bottles. These warnings should really cause us to truly be mindful of what we put on, in and around our bodies. The internet and 24 hour news media allows for the rapid transmission of information, so we can no longer feign ignorance to the dangers of chemicals that surround us. (Ever notice how fast word of a raunchy tape gets around?) Today, armed with new knowledge, mindfulness and consciousness, I went to the drugstore for a few purchases. I was overwhelmed as I read the ingredient labels on the products. Chemicals dominated the ingredient list on almost all of my normal purchases. Walking down the aisles of the store almost became an eerie and surreal experience as I evaluated these products from a fresh perspective. I purchased only about half of what was planned (and not all chemical free). Organization and planning must play a greater role in my purchasing decisions. I will add useful links to this blog to tools and information that will give you greater power to make mindful and healthy product choices for you and your family. I would love to get your ideas for links to healthy choices and information. Send them in and we can build a comprehensive one stop planning center for toxic free living.

No comments: