On March 29th, 2008 at 8pm, citizens and businesses from all over the world will be powering down for an hour in recognition of Global Earth Hour. The premise of the event, which started in Australia, is to reduce global carbon emissions by encouraging businesses and individuals to turn of the lights for an hour. The biggest city in the states so far to sign up is Chicago, Illinois. Yes, the Sears Tower will go dark for an hour. Some are using this time to plan some fun events during this hour of darkness. What would you do with an hour without electricity? Here are some ideas:
- Invite over some friends for hot chocolate or mocktails and have a candlelit get together
- Send the kids to bed early and have a great time with your mate
- Gather the family around and share stories of the past or play some fun games
- Finally get around to meditating
- Take a warm bath surrounded by scented candles
- Enjoy an evening stroll with your family, friends or neighbors
If this sounds fun, sign up for more information and ideas at Earthhour.